Academy of Music and Performing Arts
- 4 years
Get to know us
- Watch a webinar
- Meet us on campus
- And more...
About the Academy of Music and Performing Arts
The Academy of Music and Performing Arts (AMPA) offers an ambitious and innovative Bachelor conservatory programme. Our vision is based on the idea that your individual musical development into a top musician can only flourish through practice. We encourage you, together with our teachers, your fellow students and the professional field, to develop new visions of musical artistry. This artistry is underpinned by six key skills: instrument & ensemble playing, self-management, interdisciplinarity, practice-oriented research, collective entrepreneurship and international connectedness. Our top teachers are right in the middle of the field and will coach you to further develop your talent.
What do we offer
- You will be intensively coached by your main subject, theory, research and ensemble teachers and taught by experts in the field of creative skills, personal development and entrepreneurship.
- A programme full of master classes and projects, collaborating with other art disciplines at Fontys School of Fine & Performing Arts.
- You will work with various artists, venues and disciplines, and have access to state of the art developments.
- An enthusiastic team of teachers who have earned their spurs in the field and know exactly what you need.
- A creative learning environment that offers plenty of room for your own initiative.
What are you going to learn?
We have built AMPA on six key skills helping you to become a pioneer: instrument & ensemble playing, self-management, interdisciplinarity, practice-oriented research, collective entrepreneurship and international connectedness.
You will follow at least 3 hours of instrument classes a week, consisting of individual lessons, group lessons, technique, and ensemble. This means that you have almost twice as much contact with your instrument and ensemble teachers than in other conservatories. At the same time, you will learn how to reflect on your own development and that of others.
In the ensemble and chamber music trajectories team teaching is at the heart of the programme. You will become inspired by various teachers in a dynamic and collaborative context. Alongside this, you will participate in projects and masterclasses, work together with ensembles in residence and partners in the region, and you will audition for our concert series.
Your curriculum will be supported by knowledge on music theory, music history, cultural theory, research, entrepreneurship, interdisciplinary courses and other electives (such as conducting, philosophy, and teaching skills).
- The Academy brings students to a high level of excellence, while connecting music with other art forms such as dance, theater and fine arts
- You’ll become a leader in your field and play important roles in the development of new visions on the music profession
- You evolve at a faster pace because you’ll get individual lessons, group lessons, technique and ensembles
- You’ll learn how to reflect on your own development and that of others
At AMPA you are able to design a large part of your trajectory yourself. We believe that education is best when tailored to a student’s individual needs and prefer to shape it through the student’s personal interest, qualities and preferences. A professional team of mentors will guide you to make the right choices. You do not only become excellent musicians who can connect to the existing music field, but we also educate you to become frontrunners who inspire and change the current state of the art. Our internationally renowned professors, an excellent team of mentors, and a number of high-profile ensembles in residence will bring your artistry to a higher level!
AMPA offers the following conservarory programmes. Here you can find all the information about the instrument classes we offer and the teachers.
A week at AMPA
At AMPA you have a 5-day study week from Monday till Friday. In the morning courses on music theory, music history, cultural theory, entrepreneurship and artistic research are offered. In the afternoon the instrument lessons (individual, group lessons, technique, complementary instrument piano) and ensemble lessons take place as well as the masterclasses and guest lectures. You also have time to study in the afternoon.
In the evening we host a lot of concerts, On Stage try out concerts, sessions, etc. together with our local partners. Also guest lectures on e.g. copyrights, artistic technological skills and workshops take place. On top of this we host 3 projectweeks per year together with our partners in the field.
The total study load takes up 40 hours per week.
The Performance Gallery of the fontys Academy of Music and Performing Arts and the Master of Music gives you an impression about past projects, festivals, concerts and masterclasses.
- Develop basic skills in instrument (technique and interpretation), ensemble, music theory, history, cultural history and research.
- Interdisciplinarity (working together with toher disciplines, body and mind (Cesar Therapy, injury prevention)
- Projects & masterclasses.
- Additional piano lessons
- For jazz student we also offer playground (playing together with instrument professors) and bigband lessons (all years)
- Classical singers have an additional trajectory in languages (French, IPA, German, Italian) and drama (actor training, theatrical improvisation).
- Richter and deeper level of lessons in instrument, ensemble, music theory, history, cultural history and research.
- 2 introductionary courses (to select out of 8): concerning conducting, teaching, entrepreneurship or theory on demand.
- Interdisciplinarity: focus on the theatricallity of music performance
- Projects & masterclasses
- Additonal instrument lessons
- Classical singers have an additional trajectory in languages (French, IPA, German, Italian) and drama (actor training, theatrical improvisation).
- Instrument and ensemble continues.
- Entrepreneurship course.
- Interdisciplinarity: focus on concept development for concerts and performances.
- Project and masterclasses
- Free Choice (30 out of 60EC): you can design your own trajectory
- Focus on final exam and personal interdisciplinary project
- Electives (10EC)
- Entrepreneurship course
- Projects ands masterclasses
The tuition fees indicator helps you to determine the tuition rate for your situation. The information and tuition rates from this indicator are without engagement.
Statutory tuition fees and institutional tuition fees
A distinction is made between statutory tuition fees and institutional tuition fees. Only if you satisfy all statutory requirements regarding your nationality and if you have not yet been awarded a degree, will you be eligible for statutory tuition fees. Via the tuition fees indicator, you can secure an indication of the type of tuition fees that will be applicable in your situation. To do so, please make use of the indicator above.
Distinctions are made between the following types of Institutional Tuition Fees:
- Low institutional tuition fees
- High institutional tuition fees
Different types of tuition fees and Exemption Regulations
These different types of tuition fees and the Exemption Regulations are fully detailed in the:
The amount to be paid may vary in accordance with the following situations:
- If you have enrolled in more than one course programme (at Fontys and/or elsewhere), it is possible that you may only be obliged to pay one set of statutory tuition fees.
- If you believe that you may be eligible to pay only the statutory tuition fees on the basis of information that may be unknown to us, please report this to your Course Department.
- If it later transpires that you do not meet the requirements for statutory tuition fees, you will be obliged to pay the (higher) institutional tuition fees and if this is the case, you will be notified accordingly.
Are you a talented student with a non-EU / non-EEA nationality and do you wish to study in the Netherlands at Fontys School of Fine and Performing Arts?
The Holland Scholarship provides a partial scholarship for the first year of your studies within our Bachelor of Music programme. The scholarship of €5.000,- is financed by Fontys University of Applied Sciences and the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.
General application criteria Holland Scholarship
• Your nationality is non-EU / non-EEA • You are applying for a full-time bachelor’s (or master's) at one of the participating Dutch higher education institutions • You have never before studied at an education institution in the Netherlands • You have read the general conditions of the Holland Scholarship Programme* • You are aware that your application details may be shared with EP Nuffic and the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science
Additional programme criteria of Holland Scholarship
• You have registered for the Academy of Music and Performing Arts at www.studielink.nl • You meet the general admission requirements of the programme of your choice (to be determined by the admission office) • Your entrance exam (at Fontys Tilburg, or by video) will be graded by the audition committee. Students with the highest audition grades are recommended for the Holland Scholarship. • In order to be applicable for the Holland Scholarship Programme you will need to fill in the application form after November 1st but .
Some Fontys study programmes offer the Holland Scholarship to their students. Check out the link to see if this study pogramme participates and for more information.
You might also be eligible for other scholarships not provided by Fontys. These can be found on Grantfinder.nl.
Applying for the scholarship is a different procedure from the application procedure for a study programme which has to be conducted via www.studielink.nl. For more information of this application procedure please select the programme of your choice.
Paying in instalments
Collection will take place in a maximum of ten equal instalments on or around the 26th of the month. Depending upon the processing time required after your enrolment, the direct debit may need to be moved to the following month. If so, the amount outstanding will then be divided and added to the remaining instalments to be executed until and including the June instalment.
If paying the full sum in a single payment
If you commence your studies on 1 September, the direct debit pertaining to your Tuition Fees will be executed on or around 25 September. If you commence your studies after 1 September, the direct debit will be executed on or around the 26th of the month in which you commence your studies.
Non EU students
Incoming Non EU students will receive a payment letter from their study department which must be paid before the deadline. In the following academic years payment can be done by direct debit.
If you have a Bank account number, of which the bank is not situated in one of the SEPA countries, and you are a national of a country outside the EEA without an address in The Netherlands, then you will receive a paymentletter from Fontys via your course department.
The Dutch currency unit is the Euro (i.e. abbreviated to ‘EUR’ or ‘€’).
The average living expenses per month for a foreign student living and studying in Holland are between EUR 900 and EUR 1,100 per month. These living expenses cover rent, insurance, food, public transportation, books, clothing and other general costs.
Dutch Immigration Service (IND) requires non-EEA students to proof they have access to € 11,520 per year (€ 5,760 per semester)
Costs within the first months upon arrival will be higher than all other months due to a housing deposit, intro week and books. Study books are usually bought at the start of the semester and therefore it is wise to reserve and have direct access to an amount at the start of the semester which can cover the price of all study books and the living expenses for the first two months.
Before starting your study at Fontys, you must find suitable housing. Unfortunately, it is not easy for international students to find accommodation in the Netherlands due to the housing crisis. Start your accommodation search early. Please be aware that finding a place to live is your own responsibility. However, we are happy to assist in any way we can.
AMPA aims to train you to become a top qualified artist. In today’s networked societies, crucial skills for people, and therefore for artists, include being able to communicate and to create and maintain good networks. These are prerequisites for allowing your creativity to blossom.
Our motto is: Putting your Musical Talent to work.
- Performing in traditional concert venues and festivals with small ensembles
- Teaching in music schools or private practices
- Participating in interdisciplinary performances with Dance, Circus, Theatre or performing in unconventional spaces like outdoor, prisons, elderly homes, refugee shelters, etc.
- Working as a project manager, policy maker in the artistic sector
- Working as a session musician and recording business
How to apply
All applications for our programmes have to be conducted via www.studielink.nl. Studielink is an online portal that allows applicants to apply and maintain their registration whenever they want to.
The AMPA application process may differ for EU and Non-EU students, please read below what applies for you.
Applying for studies in Studielink can be challenging. The Studielink website offers several step-by-step plans to guide you through the enrollment process.
- To take part in the audition you first have to apply (see the link "How to apply for admission" above what the 2 steps are for application!).
- Candidates living in the Netherlands, Belgium and Western Germany will be invited to participate in a live audition.
- Candidates living in other countries can upload a video audition after receiving an email with a link to the audition form. The deadlines for uploading a video audition are 30-01-2023, 20-03-2023 and 22-05-2023.
- Both the live audition and the video audition will be assessed on the same dates.
- The auditions will take place in the following weeks: 6-10 February 2023, 27-31 March 2023, 30 May-2 June 2023 (the last one is not accessible for Non-EEA candidates because of the Visa procedure). The exact dates per main subject can be found here (download).
- After this audition weeks it is still possible to audition for EEA candidates; after applying we will contact you about the date.
- Read the Admission Requirements below for details about what to prepare for your live or online audition.
- Part of the audition proces is a theory test and a motivational interview.
- The educational support office will send you the result of the audition.
- If you are admitted the student administration will send you an email about your enrolment and will ask you to send your diploma / degree certificate.
Make sure you apply in time! If you are accepted early on you can start looking for a room, your place is guaranteed and you don't have to be on a waiting list, you will receive all the information on time, you can already participate in activities, you can already make contact with the teachers etc.
Application deadline for EEA candidates is July 1
Application deadline for non-EEA candidates is April 1
The longer you wait with your application and enrolment, the harder it will be to find a room in Tilburg. Tilburg has many students, so from July/August onwards it is very difficult to find a room.
Sign up for one of our events. There's no better way to find out if this study programme is right for you! Visit a webinar from the comfort of your home or meet us live on campus. Whichever you choose, we hope to meet you soon.
November 4 and 5, 2023
Save the date, so you can experience our campus atmosphere during our upcoming Open Day. Whether you prefer informative presentations or campus tours by our teachers and students, there will be something for everyone. Interested? Let us know, and we will notify you as soon as registration opens.
Save the dates below for our Open Days:
- November 4: Eindhoven and Venlo
- November 5: Tilburg
- November 25: Extra Open Day exclusively for Physiotherapy and Medical Imaging & Radiation Therapy in Eindhoven.