Swiss-European Mobility Programme (SEMP)
Switzerland is not a partner in the Erasmus+ Programme, but it does have a similar programme for students coming to and departing from Switzerland.
Below you will find in short information about how to obtain a scholarship from the Swiss fund.
Funding for Study Abroad in Switzerland:
- Students can complete an exchange at a partner higher education institution in Switzerland of up to 12 months per study cycle (Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctorate). These visits are recognised for the studies at their own university.
- Students who wish to come to Switzerland submit an application with their host university in Switzerland. Contact the international office of this university to learn more about the selection process and all SEMP documents (Application documents, Learning Agreement, Grant Agreement etc.). All of this is provided by the host institution in Switzerland.
- The grant is also paid by the host university of higher education in Switzerland.
Funding for traineeships in Switzerland:
- Students can complete a traineeship in a business enterprise or other suitable workplace abroad of up to 12 months per study cycle (Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctorate).
- For traineeships in Switzerland the funding options are more complicated: Movetia can only work with Swiss Higher Educational Institutions, so even if a traineeship takes place at an enterprise, company or any other body, a Swiss Host University has to be involved for the bureaucratic matters (mobility documents, grant payment, etc.). not all Swiss Host Universities participating in SEMP are offering this service.
- Students wishing to pursue a traineeship should contact the international relations Office of a Swiss University (all listed here: https://www.movetia.ch/en/network/local-office/international-relations-offices) in order to find out about the funding possibilities.
- The conditions are similar to the Erasmus+ programme. There is a maximum duration of 12 months in total and scholarship rates are fixed amounts.