City Hall Registration

If you are staying in the Netherlands for more than four months you will need to go to the city council and register as a new resident of the town where you are living. Registration regulations may vary from one council to another.

In order to register, you need to bring a signed housing contract and your passport. When registering with your local council, you are automatically issued a BSN. BSN is short for Burger Service Nummer, which translates as ‘citizen service number’. The BSN is equivalent to a social security number: a unique registration number for every citizen, used in contacts with any government service. Various people may ask for your BSN. If you have a job, your employer will need to know your BSN. When you open a bank account the bank will also ask for your BSN.

Make sure to gather the following documents.

You do not need to send the following forms, but you must have them with you when you arrive in the Netherlands. Further explanations will be issued following your arrival:

  • A valid passport
  • Original birth certificate or original legalised true copy of the birth certificate (not older than six months) If your birth certificate was not issued in the Dutch, English, French or German language, you will also need to submit a sworn translation. Additional stamps, from the government of the country which issued the birth certificate, might be required. In order to confirm which legalisation you are required to have, you must contact the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your own country. Please check  to find details of your local Embassy or Consulate.
  • Proof of civil status only in case you are married, divorced or a widow(er)
  • The Tuberculosis test referral form (if applicable)
  • Rental agreement for the room in the Netherland
    • Declaration of acceptance by Fontys University of Applied Sciences
    • The original diploma of admittanceand list of Marks (if applicable, joined by a translation made by a sworn translator)
    • Print of the approval letter of the Dutch Immigration Service (IND) (attached to this email)
    • Print of your InsureToStudy insurance policy. Save the scan in your cell phone

    Extra information for students from China

    Chinese students are required to bring the following documents in addition:

    • Legalized notarized declaration* which includes family name, given names, date of birth, place of birth, name of father and name of mother and a notarized certified true copy of the document or documents on which the notary has based his statement regarding the birth and the data of the parents.

    Documents that will be accepted:

    • Hukou of the parents in which the birth of the child is registered; *Declaration of the hospital which explicitly states that this statement can be used for the registration of the birth in the Hukou registry;
    • A statement from the Public Security Bureau where the requested data prove out and;
    • Notarized certified copy of the updated and complete Hukou of the child itself.
    This should be done as soon as possible, as the legalisation process can take a number of months.

    * Information about legalisation of foreign documents for use in the Netherlands.

    Information about City Hall registration in Eindhoven

    Residents' Plaza (in the Stadskantoor) is open on weekdays. You are welcome, without an appointment, between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Or make an appointment, then you are welcome between 1 p.m. and 4.30 p.m. On Monday and Friday evenings we are open till 7 p.m. (appointments only). 

    Address: Stadskantoor Stadhuisplein 10 5611 EM Eindhoven

    Information about City Hall registration in Tilburg

    This Newcomers' Desk is to be found in the Stadswinkel Centrum at the address below. You can visit the municipality by appointment only. You can make the appointment online. Address: Stadswinkel Spoorlaan 181 5038 CB Tilburg

    Information about City Hall registration in Venlo

    You can visit the municipality by appointment only. The Student Service Centre will make the appointment for registration for you.

    Address: Stadskantoor Hanzeplaats 1 5912 AT Venlo The website is only available in Dutch.