Sprint naar content

Checklist arrival in the Netherlands

For all international students, EU and Non EU-students

Important documents / useful items
  • Valid passport (including visa, if needed);
  • Sufficient funds for the expenses that you will incur during the first month of your stay. You will need to take into account payment for your accommodation (including a security deposit) and your general living expenses;
  • Medical records;
  • Arrange health, liability and repatriation insurance (for EEA students);
  • Important addresses and telephone numbers (e.g. contact numbers for Fontys, your accommodation, your country’s embassy, et cetera);
  • The original diploma and certified copies diploma and grade list both in original language and translation (if applicable, joined by a translation made by a sworn translator);
  • Arrange accommodation (only if you haven't applied for accommodation via Fontys);
  • Proof of vaccination.

Important documents you will need to register at the City Hall

  • Proof of civil status only in case you are married, divorced or a widow(er);
  • Rental agreement for the room in the Netherlands;
  • Copy of admission letter of Fontys University of Applied Sciences;
  • Original birth certificate or original legalised true copy of the birth certificate (not older than six months) If your birth certificate was not issued in the Dutch, English, French or German language, you will also need to submit a sworn translation.

Additional stamps, from the government of the country which issued the birth certificate, might be required. In order to confirm which legalisation you are required to have, visit this website. Please check www.netherlandsandyou.nl to find details of your local Embassy or Consulate.

  • Your passport, including a ‘Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf’, or ‘MVV’ (an ‘Authorisation for Temporary Stay’) if you are a student hailing from a country for which an Entry Visa is required;
  • Print of the approval letter of the Dutch Immigration Service (IND) (if you have applied for a Dutch residence permit STUDY);
  • Print of your InsureToStudy insurance policy. Save the attached scan in your cell phone Please note: Fontys has arranged this student insurance on your behalf. InsureToStudy has sent you, beside the pre-policy, a link to pay the premium digitally. You have to pay for the insurance offered by InsureToStudy before your departure to the Netherlands. The Dutch Immigration Service requires a student insurance beside your residence permit for the Netherlands. The insurance card and the overview of the cover of the policy will be sent to your Dutch room address. The insurance company will contact you after your arrival in the Netherlands to ask your room address. Look at their website (downloads) for more information about the cover: https://www.insuretostudy.com/en/;
  • Instructions to locate your country’s embassy/consulate.
  • The Tuberculosis test referral form (if applicable). Please print it and fill in all data before you travel to the Netherlands;

Undergo a tuberculosis examination at the Municipal Health Service:

Your study department will arrange an appointment for you at the Municipal Health Service (GGD) or you have to do it yourself. Contact your study department first.

You must print, fill in and bring the Tuberculosis Examination Referral Form (you will receive this form attached to your final email from Visacare), completed as much as possible (Section A) and your passport to the appointment with the Municipal Health Service (GGD). Bring your ID.

The examination requirement does not apply to citizens originated in the following countries.

For students studying in Eindhoven : Immigranten en expats - GGD Brabant-Zuidoost (ggdbzo.nl)

For students studying in Tilburg For students studying in Venlo
Reitseplein 5 5037 AA Tilburg Zij-ingang - verdieping 5 088 368 7100 Ma t/m vr: 08:30 – 16:30 uur GGD for TBC check: Oranjelaan 21, 6042 BA Roermond 088-1191716

Legalized notarized declaration which includes family name, given names, date of birth, place of birth, name of father and name of mother and a notarized certified true copy of the document or documents on which the notary has based his statement regarding the birth and the data of the parents.

The following documents will be accepted:

  • Hukou of the parents in which the birth of the child is registered;
  • Declaration of the hospital which explicitly states that this statement can be used for the registration of the birth in the Hukou registry;
  • A statement from the Public Security Bureau where the requested data prove out;
  • Notarized certified copy of the updated and complete Hukou of the child itself.

This should be done as soon as possible, as the legalisation process can take a number of months.