External minor

External minorAs a Fontys student, you can also opt to pursue a minor somewhere else. You can choose from:


Your proposal for the external minor must be submitted to the examination committee of your Bachelor's course for approval.

You can download a form here. You must print it out and submit it once you have filled it in.

There is also a version that you can complete digitally. You will need Adobe reader version 11 (which can be downloaded free of charge: http://get.adobe.com/nl/reader/?promoid=HRZAC. Make sure that you untick the box for optional downloads).

You have to make clear in your proposal to the examination committee:

  • which minor (course element) you want to pursue, what the content is and what study load it entails;
  • how the minor relates to the rest of your course;
  • that the minor complements the major programme that you have pursued or will pursue (so that there are no overlaps);
  • that the minor is offered by a higher education institution (either university or university of applied sciences) that is recognised by the government;
  • that there are good agreements about the supervision you will receive while pursuing the minor;
  • that, if there is an internship, it is as a part of the course element and that the internship task is allocated, supervised and assessed by the other institution.

For this reason, always consult with your academic advisor as to whether the minor is suitable and always ask permission from the examination commission of your Bachelor's course. You must then approach the university offering the external minor you want to follow. You can also make use of Kies op Maat for minors on offer in the Netherlands. For more information, see your academic adviser or the course administration.

Please note

If you are going to pursue an external minor, you have to register for the External Minor via ProgRESS.

Minors outside of the Netherlands fall under the Study Abroad Minor, not the External Minor.