Minor Doing Business In and With Europe
- Start moment(s)
- September, February
- Programme in brief
- What to expect from us
- What do we expect from you
- Content of the programme
- Course description
- Admission requirements
- Fontys way of studying
- Study coach
Programme in brief
How much do you know about doing business in and with Europe?
Europe is the largest single market in the world with a population of 500 million people in a culturally diverse patchwork of 28 countries. Every day, hundreds of millions of euros worth of goods are moved into and out of the region, totalling an amazing 16% of world imports and exports. Internationally active companies cannot afford to miss the opportunity to enter and penetrate the European market. How can they be successful in this culturally and geographically diverse business environment? This question is at the heart of this minor course of study in Venlo, a major logistic hotspot of Europe.
What to expect from us
We offer you exposure to business in and with Europe in a number of different ways. By taking part in seminars and lectures we can provide you with specific knowledge and build skills relevant to business in Europe. By completing a project on the internationalization of a company into Europe, you will learn how to research business data and apply it for decision making. Through fieldtrips you can experience the diversity of business practice and culture first hand. In all of this, you have a range of electives from which you can choose, allowing you to focus on your specific interests.
What do we expect from you
We expect you to have some background and interest in economic related subjects and of course a desire to deepen your knowledge about Europe as a business environment. We encourage an inquisitive and open mind-set and an active approach to learning in a multicultural setting. All modules are taught in English.
Content of the programme
Business in Europe is made up of compulsory modules and electives which together give you the opportunity to deepen your knowledge and understanding of the topic while building key researching and communication skills.
Project: Internationalisation Strategy – Expand into/in Europe 10 - ECTS
Seminar: European regions, clusters, culture and people - 5 ECTS
European economics, trade and law - 5 ECTS
International Taxation - 5 ECTS
Fresh supply chain and logistics (Euregion focus) - 5 ECTS
Marketing in Europe - 5 ECTS
Current Affairs - 5 ECTS
Sustainability in European Business 5 - ECTS
Additional courses (provided they fit your timetable):
Dutch for beginners 2 ECTS
German for beginners 2 ECTS
Business English 2 ECTS
- Level of English: equivalent to IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year should be rounded off
- Major should be business related
Fontys does not provide scholarships for its exchange students
Fontys way of studying
Various didactical approaches and methods of testing will be used, depending on the course.
- Using a combination of established teaching, new ideas and real-life applications students will see how interesting modern business life can be;
- This programme will use the most up-to-date literature, knowledge about all the relevant fields of interest will be gained;
•Recent developments, cases and examples in today’s business will be used by the lecturers; theory will be linked to daily life examples;
- Analytical skills will be gained during the courses. Students will be challenged to take the hot seat from decision makers, and are asked to make their decisions;
- The minor is interactive, students will participate in classes, interact with their lecturers and colleague students, debate their case solutions and develop their knowledge, skills and attitude;
- Various guest lecturers share their point of view with our students. Next to this we will visit Dutch companies so our exchange students get a better understanding of business in the Netherlands.
If you encounter problems regarding a certain subject, you can either speak to your teacher or contact your exchange coordinator.