Communication - Graphic Design
- Start moment
- 21 weeks
- Contact hours
- 25-30, 4 days a week
- How to apply
Welcome to Fontys university of applied sciences. We are happy that you have taken an interest in the minor Graphic Design!
Graphic design is the most pervasive art in our world today. It is spread throughout the branches of almost every entity in our lives. Take a look at the logo of your favorite jeans, the website you are browsing or the advertising signs you pass by while traveling. Graphic design is meant to beautify, to solve problems of communication, to create awareness, to inform, to inspire and to entertain. Simply put: graphic design touches everything we see and do. It is the art of visualizing ideas.
The Graphic Design minor at Fontys Marketing and Communication is a blend of communication studies and liberal arts education with a balanced focus on conceptual, creative and technical skills. You will shape stories and messages that are creative and thought provoking, but also well researched and well executed. The minor in graphic design provides the necessary skill set needed in visual communication and the tools to contribute and work with marketing campaigns and creative professionals. Interdisciplinary courses in communication and art will help you develop your ability to verbalize creative ideas on a variety of platforms.
The Graphic Design minor at Fontys Marketing and Communication is a blend of communication studies and liberal arts education with a balanced focus on conceptual, creative and technical skills.
The programme offers you many ways to build an impressive portfolio, as you will be working on design projects for actual organizations. The minor in Graphic Design requires 4 days of study/work a week (inspiration sessions, project work, skills labs, coaching, field trips, design conference) and will supplement majors from communication, marketing, computer science, business etc.
The programme consists of 30 credits (ECTS), equivalent to 840 hours ofstudy, divided into three units:
- Commercial (15 ECTS) – You will be working (individually and in teams) on design projects for actual organizations. Acquisition, briefings, brainstorms, design, project management, pitching and billing are part of this unit. The money that is earned can be used for a study trip. All projects, including the creative and business processes, will be bundled in a process book.
- Conceptual (12 ECTS) – You will be working on a personal design project within the theme Design for Good. You will create your own story and choose your own visuals to tell that story. Your project will be showcased in an exhibition. The creative process will be documented in a concept guide.
- Graphic Journey (3 ECTS) – In this project you’ll show your own graphic journey. What are your graphic learning goals, how will you work on these and what skills do you hope to master at the end of the minor? These are questions you have to think about. You record your journey in a document to your liking and at the end of the minor you have a conversation about your journey with the coaches.
Throughout the minor you will have classes on an array of subjects, and gain knowledge and skills instantly applicable on your projects. Topics include:
- Graphic design industry
- Visual language
- Adobe software
- Analogue media
- Color psychology
- Art history
You will have the opportunity to travel with us to a Graphic Design convention*. For example: in 2023 we visited OFFF Barcelona, one of the world’s most inspirational conferences for the design and creative industries. Speakers are key disruptors and influencers in their field driving everything from huge global campaigns to inspiring personal projects. *Disclaimer: the study trip is subject to reservation due to availability, financial reasons or other unforeseen circumstances.
How will your course program be recognized by your home university?
We will provide you with a so-called ‘Transcript of Records’, which will clarify the results that you have achieved. Depending on your results, you will receive a maximum of 30 ECTS credits. ECTS credits are recognized throughout Europe. The agreement between your home university and Fontys University of Applied Sciences will usually include a condition whereby the credits that you obtain will be recognized and transferred into the records kept by your home university.
Due to the limited number of places available a selection will be done after the application deadline. Therefore we would like to receive a motivational letter. Please answer the following questions in your motivational letter:
- Who are you?
- Why are you applying for the minor Graphic Design?
- What do you want to learn during the programme?
- Could you rate your own design skills?
- Your preferred language. Do you want to follow the minor in Dutch/English/No preference?If you need to follow the minor in English, because you’re not a (native) Dutch speaker, please write this down in your application, so we can make sure that we place you in the English class.
The motivational letter will be part of your application, but first you have to register or be nominated by your Home University. The method of registration differs for exchange students studying outside the Netherlands and international students who are already studying in the Netherlands. Please only read the information below that applies to you.
Applications should always be submitted via the International Exchange Officer at your Home University. This officer will send your application request (nomination) to Fontys. Once we have accepted the nomination, you will receive an e-mail with all neccessary information how to complete your application proces.
|Deadline for nomination (by partner University)||1 November|
|Deadline for applying||15 November|
Due to the limited number of places available a selection will be done after the application deadline. Students will be informed of their acceptance or refusal before 17 November 2023.
International students (who are already studying in the Netherlands)
Register via Progress (Fontys students) or Kiesopmaat (students of other Dutch universities). You will receive an e-mail with all neccessary information how to complete your application proces. If you have any questions, you can mail to email@example.com.
To participate in the minor, the student must have completed his propaedeutic year or have permission from the Examination Board of his own study program.
|Deadline for applying||7 November|
Due to the limited number of places available a selection will be done after the application deadline. Students will be informed of their acceptance or refusal before 17 November 2023
Ms. Marlinde Caspers
International Desk Fontys Marketing and Communication
International coordinators / nominations:
Ms. Cindy Frishert, Ms. Sylvie Braan-Copin and Ms. Janneke Aussems
Contact incoming students / Mobility Online workflow:
Ms. Katelijn Busser
Fontys Marketing and Communication
Stappegoor Campus (building P4)
Prof. Goossenslaan 1-02
5022 DM Tilburg
Post address: P.O. Box 90903, 5000 GD Tilburg, the Netherlands