Bilingual Education/English Stream
- Start moment(s)
- September, February
- 20 weeks
- Contact hours
- 12 per week
- Programme in brief
- What to expect from us
- What do we expect from you
- Content of the programme
- Admission requirements
- How to apply
- Tuition fees and scholarships
- Why study in Tilburg?
Programme in brief
The BEES programme has been designed for students who are interested in teaching their chosen subject (e.g. Biology, History or Mathematics) in English. It will help them to prepare to teach at schools for bilingual education.
The programme incorporates an international perspective with regard to education and the role of teachers in a globalising society. In addition to English, attention will be paid to global citizenship, Content and Language Integrated Learning (the didactics of teaching your subject through a second language) and teaching skills.
The programme will be taught in an ‘international classroom’ and students can opt to integrate subjects from our Tailor Made Programme.
Students teachers have the option to participate in internships at either international schools or schools with bilingual departments. As a part of their internships, students will be coached in developing their professional skills.
What to expect from us
At the Fontys School of Teacher Training for Secondary Education we divide our attention equally between subject and courses/activities related to the practice of teaching. We strive to offer our incoming international students this same mix. If desirable and possible we try to arrange an internship within a Dutch school for (bilingual) secondary education. Courses are generally taught as tutorials and require active participation by students. Group sizes are kept down to ensure interaction.
What do we expect from you
Going on an exchange means becoming part of a new and international setting. We expect you to be open to the challenges you will encounter in this new setting. We expect students to actively participate in class and any other activities we offer you. Studying at our institute means taking responsibility for your learning and the learning process. This means we expect student to be pro-active and fully committed to the courses/activities you have chosen, absorbing yourself in this cultural experience.
Content of the programme
The BEES programme consists of 5 elements. Make note of the fact that the CLIL course is only taught during the fall semester.
- Professional Skills: A general pedagogical and methodological course.
- European & International Orientation: incorporating European and global citizenship, intercultural awareness and communication into your teaching.
- Studying English at CAE (Advanced English) or CPE (Proficiency in English) level.
- CLIL: Content & Language Integrated Learning: integrating subject & language learning effectively in your teaching.
- An internship in a Dutch secondary school for bilingual education.
We try to offer our international incoming students the opportunity to go on educational internships in Dutch schools for secondary (bilingual) education. Please note that this is subject to availability, subject, language level and teaching experience of the student teacher.
- Professional skills module 6 Psychological Development (2.5 EC term 1)
- Professional skills module 7 Group Processes in the Classroom (2.5 EC – term 2)
- Professional skills module 8 Communication & Conversation in the Classroom (2.5 EC term 1)
- Professional skills module 10 & 11: the Professional Teacher & his Contribution to the Moral Development of his Pupils (2.5 EC term 2)
- European & International Orientation 1 (3 EC – term 1)
- European & International Orientation 2 (3 EC term 2)
- CAE – Cambridge Advanced English (4 EC – term 1 & 2) or CPE – Cambridge Proficiency English (4 EC – term 1 & 2)
- CLIL – Content and Language Integrated Learning (4 EC – term 1 & 2)
- Internship (if available) (10 EC – term 1 & 2)
- Professional skills module 6 Psychological Development (2.5 EC term 3)
- Professional skills module 7 Group Processes in the Classroom (2.5 EC – term 4)
- Professional skills module 8 Communication & Conversation in the Classroom (2.5 EC term 3)
- Professional skills module 10 & 11: the Professional Teacher & his Contribution to the Moral Development of his Pupils (2.5 EC term 4)
- European & International Orientation 3 (4 EC – term 3)
- CAE – Cambridge Advanced English (4 EC – term 3 & 4) or CPE – Cambridge Proficiency English (4 EC – term 3 & 4)
- Internship (if available) (10 EC – term 3 & 4)
- Elective from tailor made programme
The minimum language requirement is CEFR B2.
Proof of language proficiency may be required:
- FCE/CAE/CPE certificate;
- TOEFL score 543-626 PBT or iBT 87-109 or higher;
- IELTS score 5-6.5 or higher.
A Skype interview may be part of the selection procedure.
Students who wish to go on an internship should be student teachers or students who are looking to specialise in education.
If you are interested in studying a semester at our institute, start by contacting the International Office at your home institute. They can tell you whether a student exchange agreement exists between your university and Fontys School of Teacher Training for Secondary Education, and what the nature and conditions of the agreement are.
Students from partner universities
Once we have received a nomination for you from your International Office we will send you an application link to our registration system called Mobility Online along with a manual and a link to an online tutorial.
Deadlines for registration 2016-2017
Fall semester 2016: registration between March 1 and May 15
Spring semester 2017: registration between October 1 and November 18 2016
Academic dates study semester
Fall semester 2016: 29 August 2016 - 3 February 2017
Spring semester 2017: 6 February 2017 - 30 June 2017
Students of partner universities do not pay tuition fees.
If you have any further questions regarding application, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Students of partner universities do not pay tuition fees.
Please consult your home institute with regard to available scholarships. Fontys does not provide scholarships for exchange students.
About Fontys School of Teacher Training (FLOT)
FLOT is part of Fontys University of Applied Sciences. Our institute is located in Tilburg and caters to over 4,000 students who are training to become teachers in Dutch secondary education. We have 18 departments offering a bachelor of education, 14 master programmes and two non-educative departments.
With 013 as the second largest pop stage in the Netherlands, there are a lot of concerts you can attend. Cultural life is bustling. You could visit various museums and most of the time students get discounts. Almost 30.000 students live in Tilburg, which makes it a college town. The city centre has various bars and cafés. A lot of student associations are also open for exchange students. Dutch people find sports very important. As a student you have various possibilities to join a sports centre. Tilburg University has good sports facilities and students can take out a membership if desirable.
I*ESN (International Exchange Student Network)
All exchange students from Tilburg can join the I*ESN. They organise fun activities and plan trips for their members. For more information, check the website: www.iesntilburg.nl.
Contact person for information about the programme Bilingual Education / English Stream:
Ms. Olga Ligtvoet
Tel: +31 (0)8850 82087
Visiting address: Prof. Goosenslaan 1-01, 5022 DM Tilburg
Post address: P.O. BOX, 5000 GA Tilburg, The Netherlands