• Tuition fees

    A distinction is made between statutory tuition fees and institutional tuition fees. Only if you satisfy all statutory requirements regarding your nationality and if you have not yet been awarded a degree, will you be eligible for statutory tuition fees. Via the Tuition Fees Wizard, you can secure an indication of the type of tuition fees that will be applicable in your situation. To do so, please make use of the above-mentioned link.

    Distinctions are made between the following types of Institutional Tuition Fees:
    • Low institutional tuition fees 
    • High institutional tuition fees

    These different types of tuition fees and the Exemption Regulations are fully detailed in the

      The amount to be paid may vary in accordance with the following situations:
      • If you have enrolled in more than one course programme (at Fontys and/or elsewhere), it is possible that you may only be obliged to pay one set of statutory tuition fees.
      • If you believe that you may be eligible to pay only the statutory tuition fees on the basis of information that may be unknown to us, please report this to your Course Department.
      • If it later transpires that you do not meet the requirements for statutory tuition fees, you will be obliged to pay the (higher) institutional tuition fees and if this is the case, you will be notified accordingly.

      If paying in instalments

      Collection will take place in a maximum of nine equal instalments on or around the 26th of the month, with the exception of the first direct debit on or around 12 September. If you miss the first instalment, the amount of the first instalment will be collected on or around 26 September. Depending upon the processing time required after your enrolment, the direct debit may need to be moved to the following month. If so, the amount outstanding will then be divided and added to the remaining instalments to be executed until and including the May instalment.

      Please note: In relation to the paying in instalments facility, an Administration Fee amounting to EUR 24.00 per Academic Year will be payable. This fee will be debited to your account together with the first instalment payable.

      If paying the full sum in a single payment

      If you commence your studies on 1 September, the direct debit pertaining to your Tuition Fees will be executed on or around 12 September. If you commence your studies after 1 September, the direct debit will be executed on or around the 26th of the month in which you commence your studies.

      Please note:If you have submitted your ‘Request for Enrolment’ after the date upon which the last direct debit was to be executed (i.e. on or around 26 May), payment of the full sum in a single payment will be the only option possible.

      In all cases (i.e. paying in instalments or in a single payment), prior to the execution of each direct debit, you will be sent a message in which you will be advised of the exact date upon which the direct debit is to be executed.

      If the whole amount, or an instalment (only possible when paying via a digital authorisation), cannot be directly debited, a Payment Reminder will be sent to you.
      If payment is still not made within the specified term, a payment demand will follow. If the payment demand relates to tuition fees, and payment is still not made within 14 days following the date of the payment demand, Fontys will terminate your registration by the second month following the date of the payment demand. When you receive this payment demand, your Fontys account will be blocked simultaniously. As soon as Fontys has received your payment, your account will be accessible within a few working days.

    • Living expenses

      The Dutch currency unit is the Euro (i.e. abbreviated to ‘EUR’ or ‘€’).

      The average living expenses per month for a foreign student living and studying in Holland are between EUR 900 and EUR 1,100 per month. These living expenses cover rent, insurance, food, public transportation, books, clothing and other general costs. 

      Costs within the first months upon arrival will be higher than all other months due to a housing deposit, intro week and books. Study books are usually bought at the start of the semester and therefore it is wise to reserve and have direct access to an amount at the start of the semester which can cover the price of all study books and the living expenses for the first two months. 

      Ambience photo Fontys

    • Proof of living expenses NON-EEA students

      Dutch Immigration Service (IND) requires non-EEA students to proof they have access to € 900.00* per month for the first year of the study (living expenses € 10.800) before they start their studies. Exchange students have to count the months of the exchange period.
      The student will receive a payment letter for tuition fees and visa costs through their study department. Only in the first year you have to pay the full sum in a single payment. As from the second year you can pay the tuition fee in instalments.

      Besides this, the IND requirements concerning the financial proof of living expenses (900* euro per month) are part of the visa procedure. The student can prove this amount through bank statements but the money can also be transferred to the Fontys bank account. The amount transferred to Fontys will be refunded in the first month of your stay to you newly opened Dutch bank account. Both possibilities will be given to the student during the visa application procedure.

    • Open a bank account

      Information about opening a bank account in the Netherlands

      This text addresses a few financial aspects typical for the Netherlands, which could make your stay a lot easier.

      Why a Dutch bank account?

      A Dutch bank account helps you with your financial needs in The Netherlands during your stay.
      More specifically it enables you:

      • To pay the annual tuition fee for your study in equal instalments (for instance, per month)
      • Pay the rent of your room automatically every month
      • Make low value payments in shops, at school (canteen), vendor machines etc
      • To do PIN transactions in the Netherlands, free of charge
      • The bank card enables use of ATMs and payments all over the world
      • Easy internet banking, which is included in your bank account application.

        How to open a Dutch bank account?

        Visit one of the banks mentioned at this leaflet and provide the following documents:

        • Your valid passport, of which a photocopy will be made
        • A proof of enrolment or registration at Fontys
        • Your residence permit for the Netherlands or the approval letter of the Dutch Immigration Service (IND) in case you do not have your residence permit card yet.
        • Your citizen registration number (BSN). You have received this number at your registration at the City hall. Or you will receive it shortly after your registration.
        • Proof of your address (copy rental contract of your room)


          In case you are a minor (<18) opening a bank account will not be easy. The Rabobank in Eindhoven* has made special arrangements for the minor international student. Bring the personal data of one of your parents, a home address and an email address. You are allowed to hand in your citizen registration number (BSN) at a later moment. If you have a birth certificate with you it will be of help. It is possible the other banks are also willing to make an exemption for you as a minor.

          Further instructions will be provided by the bank of your choice:


          Office De Witte Dame, Emmasingel 4, 5611 AZ Eindhoven*
          Office Tilburg, Spoorlaan 300, 5017 JZ Tilburg Office Venlo, Peperstraat 8, 5911 HA Venlo

          ING Bank

          Office Eindhoven, Nieuwstraat 1-5, 5611 DA Eindhoven
          Office Tilburg, Spoorlaan 420, 5038 CG Tilburg Office Venlo, Keulsepoort 10, 5911 BZ Venlo

          ABN-Amro bank

          Office Eindhoven, Vestdijk 18, 5611 CC Eindhoven Office Tilburg, Heuvelring 88, 5038 CL Tilburg Office Venlo, Keulsepoort 12, 5911 BZ Venlo

        • Working in the Netherlands
        •   Work permit

          Work permit

          ​​​As an international student in the Netherlands, you may want to work alongside your studies or internship. If so, there are some restrictions you will need to take into account.

          If you have a residence permit for the purposes of study, the number of hours you are allowed to work is restricted. You may either work full-time in June, July and August only, or work part-time (at most sixteen hours a week) throughout the rest of the year. You are not allowed to do both. Furthermore, your employer or employment agency has to give you a competitive salary and terms of employment.

          If you are not a citizen of an EU/EEA country or are a citizen of Croatia, you will need a work permit, which is issued for a duration of one year. It is up to your employer or employment agency to apply for a work permit from the UWV Employee Insurance Agency on your behalf. You cannot do this yourself. The work permit application must be accompanied by a copy of your residence permit for study purposes and a statement from your education institution confirming that you are enrolled as a student at that institution.

          Work permit applications take at most five weeks to process. In the case of students seeking to work part-time alongside their studies, there is a simplified application procedure whereby the UWV does not have to perform all the checks stipulated in the Foreign Nationals Employment Act (Wet arbeid vreemdelingen, WAV). Employers are not always aware of this simplified procedure and may therefore be wary about applying for a work permit. There is no need for this, however. 

          This is the website ( for your employer to apply for your work permit as a work student. There is no need for employers to worry about applying for a work permit. 

          Please note: If you work without a work permit you will risk your residence permit. Your​ employer will get a big fine (about 8000 euro!!). So stick to the rules and check if your employer has applied for your work permit. If you are working or you need to adapt your insurance into basic health care insurance. Be aware that your employer has to give you a copy of your work permit.

        •   Basic Health Care Insurance and a job

          Basic Health Care Insurance and a job

          If you have a student job or a paid internship you are obliged to take out a Dutch Basic Health Care Insurance. Please check this information to see if you are required to take out a Dutch Basic Health Insurance. If the outcome is yes, we recommend that you get in contact with InsureToStudy  This Dutch health insurer is able to provide services in English and can answer any further questions you might have regarding the Dutch standard health insurance. This is the application form Basic Health Care insurance. Fill in this form and send it by email to  You will risk a big fine if you don't take out the Dutch Basic Health insurance if you are obliged to. 

          If you already have an InsureToStudy student insurance (or if you are willing to take out one), you can profit a very low priced Dutch Basic Health insurance combination with Hollandzorg. The special premium per month is 94,53 euro without any excess (normally 385 euro per year)

          If you do not have an InsureToStudy student insurance, InsureToStudy will contact you for one, after receipt of the application form. You can only profit the low price in combination with the InsureTostudy the BasicPlan cover, this is the coverage without the medical expenses

          In case you quit your job or your internship ends, you can easily stop the Dutch Basic Healthcare Insurance from Hollandzorg and continue with your InsureToStudy insurance Master Plan or Master Pan+ cover. Whenever you start a new job/internship, it is easy to start this same basic healthcare insurance again. Even switching on a daily base is possible. Of course you are free to take out any other basic health care insurance but without any special price or arrangements.

        •   Part time study in combination with a paid internship

          More information about this topic will be available soon.