Checklist arrival in the Netherlands

For all international students, EU and Non EU-students

Important documents / useful items
  • Sufficient funds for the expenses that you will incur during the first month of your stay. You will need to take into account payment for your accommodation (including a security deposit) and your general living expenses.
  • Medical records
  • Proof of (medical) insurance cover.
  • Important addresses and telephone numbers (e.g. contact numbers for Fontys, your accommodation, your country’s embassy, et cetera).
  • Passport photos (5 to 10 photos should be sufficient, measuring 35 mm wide x 45 mm high.
  • The original diploma of admittance and list of Marks (if applicable, joined by a translation made by a sworn translator)

Important documents you will need to register at the City Hall

  • Proof of civil status only in case you are married, divorced or a widow(er)
  • Rental agreement for the room in the Netherland 
  • Declaration of acceptance by Fontys University of Applied Sciences
  • Original birth certificate or original legalised true copy of the birth certificate (not older than six months) If your birth certificate was not issued in the Dutch, English, French or German language, you will also need to submit a sworn translation.

Additional stamps, from the government of the country which issued the birth certificate, might be required. In order to confirm which legalisation you are required to have, visit the website . Please check  to find details of your local Embassy or Consulate.

Especially for Non EU-students

  • Your passport, including a ‘Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf’, or ‘MVV’ (an ‘Authorisation for Temporary Stay’) if you are a student hailing from a country for which an Entry Visa is required.
  • Print of the approval letter of the Dutch Immigration Service (IND) (if you have applied for a Dutch residence permit STUDY)
  • The Tuberculosis test referral form (if applicable) Please print it and fill in all data before you travel to the Netherlands.
  • Print of your InsureToStudy insurance policy. Save the attached scan in your cell phone    Please note: Fontys has arranged this student insurance on your behalf. InsureToStudy has sent you, beside the pre-policy, a link to pay the premium digitally. You have to pay for the insurance offered by InsureToStudy before your departure to the Netherlands. The Dutch Immigration Service requires a student insurance beside your residence permit for the Netherlands. The insurance card and the overview of the cover of the policy will be sent to your Dutch room address. The insurance company will contact you after your arrival in the Netherlands to ask your room address. Look at their website (downloads) for more information about the cover.
  • Instructions to locate your country’s embassy/consulate

Chinese students are required to bring the following documents in addition:

Legalized notarized declaration which includes family name, given names, date of birth, place of birth, name of father and name of mother and a notarized certified true copy of the document or documents on which the notary has based his statement regarding the birth and the data of the parents. The documents that are accepted are:

  • Hukou of the parents in which the birth of the child is registered
  • Declaration of the hospital which explicitly states that this statement can be used for the registration of the birth in the Hukou registry;
  • A statement from the Public Security Bureau where the requested data prove out
  • Notarized certified copy of the updated and complete Hukou of the child itself.

This should be done as soon as possible, as the legalisation process can take a number of months.