The Cochrane Library is a collection of databases that contains current and reliable information regarding the effects of interventions in healthcare. These databases contain partially full text (evidence-based) information to provide (decision-making) support to the healthcare sector, for both professionals and private individuals. The Cochrane Library database collection can be searched via a one integrated search interface.
The most important databases included in the Cochrane Library are as follows:
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, or CDSR (Cochrane Reviews) – all in full text. These are Systematic Reviews for the purpose of addressing specific clinical issues on the basis of systematic research of available literature.
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects, or DARE (Other Reviews) – abstracts only
- Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials, or CENTRAL (Clinical Trials, Randomised Controlled Trials, or RCT’s) – abstracts only. An RCT, (or Randomised Controlled Trial), is a type of scientific research in the area of biosciences, primarily in healthcare, whereby efforts are made to establish whether or not specific treatments (or interventions) are effective and/or useful.
- Free podcasts, also for iPads (you will firstly need to download the Podcast App, which is free of charge).
- The Cochrane Library iPad App, which can be downloaded free of charge via Cochrane Apps. This contains selected reviews, abstracts, editorials, podcasts and videos. The articles can be downloaded for perusal offline.
- Anywhere Systematic Reviews ; any format, any device, any time
On/Off campus via Cochrane.
For many databases / digital sources / digital tools it is possible to create a personal account to be able to use functionalities like alerts, saving searches etc.
Before you do this, check the Privacy Statement of this database / digital source / digital tool, to find out which personal data are being saved.
Whether you share your personal data, is your own responsibility.
Fontys University accepts no liability for data breaches from this database / digital source / digital tool.