Opening a bank account
We advise you to open a Dutch bank account because transfers from foreign banks usually involve additional costs
The necessary documents required for opening a Dutch bank account are:
- A valid passport
- Proof of enrolment at Fontys Venlo University of Applied Sciences
- A BSN (burgerservicenummer) i.e. the Dutch social service number.
- At ING bank: An activated Dutch SIM card. You need a Dutch SIM card to activate your account and internet banking. You can buy a Dutch SIM card at Checkpoint, in any supermarket or telephone shop. Be sure to have the SIM card installed and activated before going to the bank.
In case you are a minor (<18) opening a bank account will not be easy. The Rabobank in Eindhoven (Office De Witte Dame, Emmasingel 4, 5611 AZ Eindhoven) has made special arrangements for the minor international student. Bring the personal data of one of your parents, a home address and an email address. If you have a birth certificate with you it will be of help. It is possible the other banks are also willing to make an exemption for you as a minor.
- In some cases, opening a bank account may take quite a long time. This means, that you must have sufficient funds in cash or on a foreign debit/credit card to finance yourself during this time.
- It is necessary to make an official appointment at the bank if you wish to open a bank account