Sprint naar content

Registering at the city hall

Once you have arrived in Venlo, you are obligated to register at the city hall. If you apply for a student accommodation via Fontys, then we will make an appointment at the city hall for you and inform you about the date and time of the appointment shortly before your arrival. If you reside in a municipality other than Venlo, you will have to arrange the appointment with the city hall of that municipality yourself. After your registration you’ll receive a registration number (BSN). The BSN is also required to work in the Netherlands.

If you arrange your accommodation in Venlo yourself, please make sure to notify Student Service Center (SSC-Venlo@fontys.nl) about the fact, that you would also need an appointment at the city hall.

In order to register you as a Venlo resident, you are required to bring certain documents with you to the appointment. Please note,these documents can not be issued longer than 6 months ago.

*Students, who will reside outside Venlo, please contact the local municipality for more information about the registration process. Please note, that different municipalities may require other documents for  the registration process.

Documents that you need to prepare before departure

  1. Original birth certificate and a copy of the birth certificate with apostille stamp. If the original document is not in English, Dutch, French or German you also need a certified translation of the birth certificate. The birth certificate should state the student's name, date and place of birth.
  2. Original proof of marital status and a copy of the marital status with apostille stamp. If the original document is not in English, Dutch, French or German you also need a certified translation of the marital status.
    Proof of marital status means a document stating whether you are married or not. So even if you are not married, the city hall requires a document that contains this information.
  3. Valid passport or ID card
  4. Admission confirmation from Fontys 

Additionally for non-EU/EEA students 

5. A positive assessment for the MVV and VRR application (letter from Visacare+)

Contact us if you need help

If you are having difficulties arranging any of the documents, please contact Fontys ahead of time before your departure via SSC-Venlo@fontys.nl.

Please make sure to make copies of all these documents beforehand! You have to hand in the copies at the city hall.

The originals of all documents will be returned to you at the end of the appointment.

The documents have to be legalized, if stated so in the list above. For each country, the legalization procedure is different. You can get information on legalization of documents at the Dutch Embassy in your country or at a notary's office.

Documents that you will receive upon arrival

  1. Filled out form "1e vestiging Buitenland"
  2. Signed rental contract from your landlord (received when you picked up the key to your accommodation)