Opening a Dutch bank account
We advise you to open a Dutch bank account because transfers from foreign banks usually involve additional costs. Information about how to make an appointment at a bank will be sent to you shortly before the start of your studies. Please note, that you would need the following documents for opening the account:
- A valid passport
- Proof of enrolment at Fontys Venlo University of Applied Sciences
- A BSN (burgerservicenummer) i.e. the Dutch social service number. You will receive this number via post within two weeks after your city hall appointment
An activated Dutch SIM card. You need a Dutch SIM card to activate your account and internet banking. You can buy a Dutch SIM card at Checkpoint, in any supermarket or telephone shop. Be sure to have the SIM card installed and activated before going to the bank.
Information about opening a bank account in the Netherlands
This text addresses a few financial aspects typical for the Netherlands, which could make your stay a lot easier.
Why a Dutch bank account?
A Dutch bank account helps you with your financial needs in The Netherlands during your stay. More specifically it enables you:
- To pay the annual tuition fee for your study in equal instalments (for instance, per month)
- Pay the rent of your room automatically every month
- Make low value payments in shops, at school (canteen), vendor machines etc
- To do PIN transactions in the Netherlands, free of charge
- The bank card enables use of ATMs and payments all over the world
- Easy internet banking, which is included in your bank account application.
How to open a Dutch bank account?
Visit the banks of your choice and provide the following documents:
- Your valid passport, of which a photocopy will be made
- A proof of enrolment or registration at Fontys
- Your residence permit for the Netherlands or the approval letter of the Dutch Immigration Service (IND) in case you do not have your residence permit card yet.
- Your citizen registration number (BSN). You have received this number at your registration at the City hall. Or you will receive it shortly after your registration. Some banks allow you to hand in the BSN later (max 6 weeks)
- Proof of your address (copy rental contract of your room)
- If you do not have a BSN number fill in Tax of Identification Number / social security number home land.
ABN-AMRO Instruction How to open an bank account
In case you are a minor (<18) opening a bank account will not be easy. Bring the personal data of one of your parents, a home address and an email address. You are allowed to hand in your citizen registration number (BSN) at a later moment. If you have a birth certificate with you it will be of help.
Further instructions will be provided by the bank of your choice
ABN-AMRO documents needed if you are a Minor:
Application Form international student 2020 parent
Declaration of consent
Further instructions will be provided by the bank of your choice:
5611 AZ Eindhoven
5017 JZ Tilburg
5911 HA Venlo
5611 DA Eindhoven
5038 CG Tilburg
5911 BZ Venlo
5611 CC Eindhoven
5038 CL Tilburg
5911 BZ Venlo
- When you are younger than 18 years then your parents need to provide an authorization (in English) to open the bank account