Opening a Dutch bank account
Information about opening a bank account in the Netherlands
This text addresses a few financial aspects typical for the Netherlands, which could make your stay a lot easier.
Why a Dutch bank account?
A Dutch bank account helps you with your financial needs in The Netherlands during your stay. More specifically it enables you:
- To pay the annual tuition fee for your study in equal instalments (for instance, per month)
- Pay the rent of your room automatically every month
- Make low value payments in shops, at school (canteen), vendor machines etc
- To do PIN transactions in the Netherlands, free of charge
- The bank card enables use of ATMs and payments all over the world
- Easy internet banking, which is included in your bank account application.
How to open a Dutch bank account?
Visit one of the banks mentioned at this leaflet and provide the following documents:
- Your valid passport, of which a photocopy will be made
- A proof of enrolment or registration at Fontys
- Your residence permit for the Netherlands or the approval letter of the Dutch Immigration Service (IND) in case you do not have your residence permit card yet.
- Your citizen registration number (BSN). You have received this number at your registration at the City hall. Or you will receive it shortly after your registration.
- Proof of your address (copy rental contract of your room)
In case you are a minor (<18) opening a bank account will not be easy. The Rabobank in Eindhoven* has made special arrangements for the minor international student. Bring the personal data of one of your parents, a home address and an email address. You are allowed to hand in your citizen registration number (BSN) at a later moment. If you have a birth certificate with you it will be of help. It is possible the other banks are also willing to make an exemption for you as a minor.
Further instructions will be provided by the bank of your choice:
5611 AZ Eindhoven
5017 JZ Tilburg
5911 HA Venlo
5611 DA Eindhoven
5038 CG Tilburg
5911 BZ Venlo
5611 CC Eindhoven
5038 CL Tilburg
5911 BZ Venlo