Sprint naar content

Minors in English

You may choose a minor once you have successfully completed the first year of your Bachelor's degree. You have three options:

  • A Fontys minor is studied full time and starts twice a year, in September and in February. Make sure that there is no overlap with your major. You can check this in the Education and Examination Regulations (EER). Consult your academic advisor where necessary.
  • A minor or course offered by other Dutch Universities. For more information go to: 'Kies op Maat'.
  • A minor abroad, more information can be found on fontys.edu/studyabroad


Registration opens in February for minors that start in September. Registration for minors that start in February starts in July.

Minors may restrict enrolment so that registration will close once the minor is full, so make sure that you make your choice on time. For details about registration and the offer of Fontys minors in English please go to fontys.edu/studyabroad

Our full-time Bachelor's courses consist of a major and a minor. The major is the core of the course and is the basic programme. The major is a broad education for your future profession. The minors offer a programme of options. As a full-time student you can opt for a broadening Fontys minor or a deepening minor that is offered by your own course. The choice is yours. Minors outside of Fontys and abroad are also possible. You can personalise your course of study with your choice of minor or minors. You can use your choice to broaden your career perspectives or to specialise. Students from other universities, including other universities of applied sciences, are also welcome to pursue a minor at Fontys.
The arrangements are different for a part-time course. Some minors are included in the major programme and some are separate. If you would like to know how your course is arranged, consult your academic advisor.

As a Fontys student, you can also opt to pursue a minor somewhere else. You can choose from:


Your proposal for the external minor must be submitted to the examination committee of your Bachelor's course for approval.

You have to make clear in your proposal to the examination committee:

  • which minor (course element) you want to pursue, what the content is and what study load it entails;
    • how the minor relates to the rest of your course;
  • that the minor complements the major programme that you have pursued or will pursue (so that there are no overlaps);
    • that the minor is offered by a higher education institution (either university or university of applied sciences) that is recognised by the government;
  • that there are good agreements about the supervision you will receive while pursuing the minor;
    • that, if there is an internship, it is as a part of the course element and that the internship task is allocated, supervised and assessed by the other institution.

For this reason, always consult with your academic advisor as to whether the minor is suitable and always ask permission from the examination commission of your Bachelor's course. You must then approach the university offering the external minor you want to follow. You can also make use of Kies op Maat for minors on offer in the Netherlands. For more information, see your academic adviser or the course administration.

Please note

If you are going to pursue an external minor, you have to register for the External Minor via Progress.

Minors outside of the Netherlands fall under the Study Abroad Minor, not the External Minor.

These minors are available in English. A few of these minors offer their programme information in Dutch. When you would like to have more information about a specific programme, please contact the contactperson on the right side of the page.