Sprint naar content


I don't have sufficient educational progress

If you are achieving insufficient educational progress, you will have to leave the Netherlands unless you have other legal grounds to reside in the country.

Am I allowed to change to another educational institution?

In principle, your residence permit remains valid if you take another course at the educational institution.The educational institution must be informed, however, within 4 weeks. The educational institution will pass on the notification to the IND. If you move to another educational institution, you must notify the IND that this institution will become your new sponsor. The educational institution must be recognised as a sponsor by the IND. You must also promptly inform your old educational institution of the transfer.

How long may I stay outside the Netherlands with my valid residence permit?

You may stay outside the Netherlands for a maximum of 1 year. Requirement is that you follow temporary education abroad in order to finish your study in the Netherlands.

With a residence permit for study in the Netherlands it is possible to undergo part of the study programme at a higher education institution in one or more other Member States of the European Union. This is called intra-EU mobility. If you want to make use of this possibility with a residence permit for study, your programme must be a Union or multilateral programme comprising mobility measures or an agreement between your higher education institution and the higher education institution in the other Member State on the basis of which you can pursue part of the study programme at the other higher education institution. You may stay a maximum of 360 days per Member State in one or more other Member States within the framework of intra-EU mobility. If so, the IND must be notified that you will be pursuing part of the study programme in a different Member State. Your Dutch residence permit will then remain valid in principle.
Denmark and Ireland have not bound themselves by the European Directive with regard to EU-mobility.
Consequently, the foregoing does not apply to these countries

I have lost my residence permit card. What do I do?

To apply for a replacement you need to report this to the police immediately because you need a police report of the lost card. On the website of the IND you can find the application form to apply for a replacement of your card:  https://ind.nl/en/Pages/Guidance1Question18.aspx# . The application costs € 139. If the document has been stolen and you have a student insurance you can make a claim for these costs. Please contact your insurance company for more information about that.  

I graduated and received my diploma. Can I stay in the Netherlands?

Your residence permit for study after graduation will remain valid until 3 months after deregistration from your educational institution. Or until the start date of your orientation year. If you wish to stay in the Netherlands after your study you have to apply for a different residence permit. As a graduate you can make use of the orientation year for graduates.

I want to leave the Netherlands. What should I do before I leave?

Before you leave the Netherlands you have to arrange a number of things. For example, deregistration with the municipality and handing in your residence document.

My question is not listed here. Whom can I contact for further assistance?

If the answer to your question is not included here, please do not hesitate to contact Team International Students by e-mail, via internationalstudents@fontys.nl.