This study programme is truly unique. Throughout your studies, you will be supervised by your main professor, our personal career coach, and a research coach. As a Master of Music student at Fontys, you receive a two-year personal budget. In previous academic years, the personal budget ranged from €3000 to €4000 per year for students in their first and second year of study.You can use your personal budget to personalize the curriculum in accordance with your artistic and professional needs. Students who wish to take lessons with artists who teach outside Fontys may use their scholarship to do so, even if the artist is based in another country. The school maintains strong connections with local concert halls and venues, so you will have ample performance opportunities in the region.
Why this study in the Netherlands?
- Extensive personalization and bespoke study programmes
- You will be guided by three coaches: a main professor, your personal career advisor and a research coach
- This study provides many network opportunities, as you can choose to be taught by educators and professionals from outside of the school
- You will be part of an international community of 600 music students and 1500 art students
What are you going to learn?
We aim to offer you courses that will not only help you in developing your musical skills, but also educate you in abilities a contemporary artist needs in a rapidly evolving artistic landscape. As such, we have created research and personal and professional development programme to facilitate this, and we hope that you will be able to connect these courses to your artistic plan. In this way, your performance exam will not only be a wonderful artefact, but will also be supported by a strong contextual basis.
- High level musical skills
- Research skills to create context to your practice
- Personal skills to communicate and work as an professional
- Professional skills to build your own practice
I really appreciate the fact that the teachers give us all the necessary tools to be a professional musician, push us out of our comfort zone, and at the same time, deeply respect our individuality and encourage us to follow our own paths."
You will be supervised by your main professor,our personal career coach, and a research coach. As a Master of Music student at Fontys you receive a two-year personal budget. The personal budget amount depends on your specialization. You can use your personal budget to personalize the curriculum in accordance with your artistic and professional needs. Students who wish to take lessons with artists who teach outside Fontys may use their scholarship to do so, even when the artist is based in another country. The school maintains strong connections with local concert halls and venues. Therefore, as a student you will have ample performance opportunities in the region.
What can you expect?
- Individual instrumental lessons, chamber music & ensemble, coaching on research and study career
- Elective courses for your personal and professional development
- Project weeks connected with other performing arts master students
- Extended research programme, connected with other performing arts
- Performance exam at the end of each academic year
You can choose 3 electives, that will fit your need to become a complete professional.
6 research days are planned to teach and inspire you to research a topic that fits your personal artistic practice.
A performance exam is planned where you can show your achievements.
There will be two projects to connect your plans to your professional future. Together with your research coach you will finalize your research.
Eventually all three parts; artistic, research and professionalism will show in your final performance.
The tuition fees indicator helps you to determine the tuition rate for your situation. The information and tuition rates from this indicator are without engagement.
For the 2021-2022 academic year, you can count on a one-time discount on tuition fees from the ‘Nationaal Programma Onderwijs’. Do you want to know what this means for you personally? Check the tuition fees indicator to see how high your tuition fees are for academic year 2021-2022.
Statutory tuition fees and institutional tuition fees
A distinction is made between statutory tuition fees and institutional tuition fees. Only if you satisfy all statutory requirements regarding your nationality and if you have not yet been awarded a degree, will you be eligible for statutory tuition fees. Via the tuition fees indicator, you can secure an indication of the type of tuition fees that will be applicable in your situation. To do so, please make use of the indicator above.
Distinctions are made between the following types of Institutional Tuition Fees:
- Low institutional tuition fees
- High institutional tuition fees
Different types of tuition fees and Exemption Regulations
- If you have enrolled in more than one course programme (at Fontys and/or elsewhere), it is possible that you may only be obliged to pay one set of statutory tuition fees.
- If you believe that you may be eligible to pay only the statutory tuition fees on the basis of information that may be unknown to us, please report this to your Course Department.
- If it later transpires that you do not meet the requirements for statutory tuition fees, you will be obliged to pay the (higher) institutional tuition fees and if this is the case, you will be notified accordingly.
Are you a talented student with a non-EU / non-EEA nationality and do you wish to study in the Netherlands at Fontys School of Fine and Performing Arts?
The Holland Scholarship provides a partial scholarship for the first year of your studies within our Bachelor of Music programme. The scholarship of €5.000,- is financed by Fontys University of Applied Sciences and the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.
General application criteria Holland Scholarship
• Your nationality is non-EU / non-EEA • You are applying for a full-time bachelor’s (or master's) at one of the participating Dutch higher education institutions • You have never before studied at an education institution in the Netherlands • You have read the general conditions of the Holland Scholarship Programme* • You are aware that your application details may be shared with EP Nuffic and the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science
Additional programme criteria of Holland Scholarship
• You have registered for the Academy of Music and Performing Arts at www.studielink.nl • You meet the general admission requirements of the programme of your choice (to be determined by the admission office) • Your entrance exam (at Fontys Tilburg, or by video) will be graded by the audition committee. Students with the highest audition grades are recommended for the Holland Scholarship. • In order to be applicable for the Holland Scholarship Programme you will need to fill in the application form after November 1st but .
Fontys currently offers several scholarships for Non-Eu / Non-EEA students. You might also be eligible for other scholarships not provided by Fontys. These can be found on Grantfinder.nl
Paying in instalments
Collection will take place in a maximum of ten equal instalments on or around the 26th of the month. Depending upon the processing time required after your enrolment, the direct debit may need to be moved to the following month. If so, the amount outstanding will then be divided and added to the remaining instalments to be executed until and including the June instalment.
If paying the full sum in a single payment
If you commence your studies on 1 September, the direct debit pertaining to your Tuition Fees will be executed on or around 25 September. If you commence your studies after 1 September, the direct debit will be executed on or around the 26th of the month in which you commence your studies.
Non EU students
Incoming Non EU students will receive a payment letter from their study department which must be paid before the deadline. In the following academic years payment can be done by direct debit.
If you have a Bank account number, of which the bank is not situated in one of the SEPA countries, and you are a national of a country outside the EEA without an address in The Netherlands, then you will receive a paymentletter from Fontys via your course department.
The Dutch currency unit is the Euro (i.e. abbreviated to ‘EUR’ or ‘€’).
The average living expenses per month for a foreign student living and studying in Holland are between EUR 900 and EUR 1,100 per month. These living expenses cover rent, insurance, food, public transportation, books, clothing and other general costs.
Dutch Immigration Service (IND) requires non-EEA students to proof they have access to € 11,200 per year (€ 5.600 per semester)
Costs within the first months upon arrival will be higher than all other months due to a housing deposit, intro week and books. Study books are usually bought at the start of the semester and therefore it is wise to reserve and have direct access to an amount at the start of the semester which can cover the price of all study books and the living expenses for the first two months.
Before starting your study at Fontys, you must find suitable housing. Unfortunately, it is not easy for international students to find accommodation in the Netherlands due to the housing crisis. Start your accommodation search early. Please be aware that finding a place to live is your own responsibility. However, we are happy to assist in any way we can.
After your studies the whole professional musical field is open for you. You can audition and join theatre companies, orchestra’s and ensembles. You will have the ability to create your own work, by starting collaborations, groups and ensembles or doing free lance work. You will be a professional musical entrepreneur, with a strong network, who knows how to arrange sustenance.
- Musical entrepreneur
- Orchestral musician
- Theatre performer
- Free lance musician
The Master of Music program will not only help you in developing your musical skills, but also will educate you in abilities a contemporary artist needs in a rapidly evolving artistic landscape."
How to apply
All applications for our programmes have to be conducted via www.studielink.nl. Studielink is an online portal that allows applicants to apply and maintain their registration whenever they want to.
The application process may differ for EU and Non-EU students, please read below what applies for you.
- To take part in the audition you first have to apply (see the link above what the 2 steps are for application!).
- From January onwards the educational support office will send you an invitation for a video audition including a link to a request form. Read the Admission Requirements for details.
- Part of the audition proces is a Personal Development Plan.
- The educational support office will send you the result of the audition.
- If you are admitted the student administration will send you an email about your enrollment and will ask you to send your diploma / degree certificate.
Application deadline for EER candidates is July 1
Application deadline for non-EER candidates is April 1
Video audition dates: continuous
Live audition dates: from January till June
The longer you wait with your application and enrolment, the harder it will be to find a room in Tilburg. Tilburg has many students, so from July/August onwards it is very difficult to find a room.
More about Master of Music
We organise all kinds of activities in the upcoming period. It is a great way to experience what it is like to study at Fontys and learn more about the programme from the comfort of your home or live on campus.
Would you like us to keep you informed about upcoming Open days? Click on the button below.
In the factsheet you will find the most important programme information at a glance.Download the factsheet