As a prospective Bachelor's student you must have a diploma of higher secondary education that is equivalent to Dutch standards. In order to be admitted to Fontys University of Applied Sciences students must be eligible for higher education through a diploma of secondary education / high school diploma with good results. This means:
- For Dutch students: VWO-, HAVO- or MBO-diploma
- For German students: Fachabitur or Abitur (Fachhochschulreife or Allgemeine Hochschulreife)
- For students of other nationalities, here are some examples of accepted diplomas:
- senior high school diploma, which generally grants access to a Bachelor programme in the country of issue
- General Certificate of Secondary Education in 4 subjects with marks ranging from A-C, plus a General Certificate of Education with 2 subjects at advanced subsidiary level
- International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Baccalauréat Général
- American High School Diploma (AP courses are strongly recommended)
* No rights can be derived from this overview. Rates and conditions may be subject to change, alterations and/or corrections may apply. Fontys does not accept any liability for possible mistakes and shortcomings of this summary.
Besides your diploma, please provide additional academic qualifications if available (especially in the field of mathematics). E.g. additional courses, workshops, projects, participation in competitions. Your qualifications will be assessed by the Admission Officer of the specific study programme.
If you are a prospective Master’s student you must have a relevant Bachelor’s degree. In addition you need a certain level of English proficiency which is explained below.
For the English taught programmes, the minimum English language proficiency required is explained in the following table:
|TEST||Bachelor's and Master's|
* only if the units 'Speaking and Writing' and 'Listening and Reading' have been passed succesfully.
The level of English proficiency must always meet the entry requirements for the chosen Fontys course. Fontys always reserves the right to require a language proficiency test for all categories of applicants.
Some applicants can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test results:
- Candidates with a Dutch HAVO / VWO diploma
- EEA/EU candidates with diplomas from certain countries are exempted from the language test. Find the lit of diplomas and countries here
- Applicants whose previous education was English-taught, and taken in a country in which English is an official language
- Applicants whose mother tongue is English