What is a University of Applied Sciences?

In the Netherlands we use the so-called two-cycle system of university education that is being introduced across the European Higher Education Area. This two-cycle System consists of two clearly defined cycles:

  • undergraduate (bachelors): A bachelor’s degree in technology (BSc) is earned after completion of a course of undergraduate study.
  • graduate (masters and doctorate). A master’s degree is earned after completing graduate studies, usually two years after first earning an undergraduate degree.

In the Dutch university system bachelor degrees can be obtained through two different tracks:

A research university bachelor’s programme

  • requires 3 years of study (180 credits).
  • Graduates obtain a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science (BA/BSc) degree, depending on the discipline.
  • Study pace in the research university programme is high, the curriculum is theoretical and related to research.

A bachelor’s degree programme offered by universities of applied sciences

  • requires 4 years of study (240 credits).
  • The degree indicates the field of study (e.g. BSc).
  • Programme is practically oriented (including internships in companies) and are related to applied science.

For students who choose to do bachelor and master programmes at research level, we have set up a close relation with Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) in the fields of ICT and Engineering. Because of the arrangements between TU/e and Fontys University of Applied Sciences about mutual referral you can make a choice that really matches your interests and capacities.

Does Fontys accept general IELTS?

No, you have to meet the Academic standard. You can find more information on IELTS at their website.

What are the requirements to start at your University with a Bachelor programme?

Minimum Admission requirements for our Bachelor Programmes are:

  • International Baccalaureate or
  • General Certificate Secondary Education with mathematics or physics (for some study programs)
  • HAVO or
  • VWO certificate or
  • Equivalent education (to be assessed by our Diploma assement office).

For non-EU students, who didn't attend their secondary school in the English Language, IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 550 (paper), TOEFL 213 (computer), TOEFL 80 (internet), TOEIC 670 or Cambridge ESO (CAER-C) is required. If your prior education was fully in English and if the official language in the country of your prior education is English, you are exempted from submitting a test result.
For several programmes additional requirements are set, like mathematics, physics or economics. Please check the specific programme for more details.

What documents do I need to submit to apply for a Bachelor programme?

To get admission to one of our programmes, you need to follow the instructions listed on the website for the programme of your choice.

What is the application deadline?

For non-EU students:

  • February intake: deadline for application is 15 November;
  • September intake: deadline for application is 15 May.

For EU students:

  • February intake: deadline for application is 15 December;
  • September intake: deadline for application is 15 August.(provided you arrange your own accommodation)

Is there any way to check the status of my admission?

We will inform you about your admission by sending you a letter of admission. If we have any questions, we will try to contact you by e-mail.

Can I pay the tuition fees in installments?

Yes, but only if you have a Dutch bank account.

Refund policy statement

In case of cancellation of your enrolment before 1st of September, you will get a refund of already paid fees minus 100€ administration costs and minus other costs already made to housing and visa application.

Does Fontys offer scholarships?

Only Fontys FTB programs (=ICT and Engineering) offer scholarships for non-EU students. Click here for more information.

How can I get a scholarship from Dutch government?

For more information visit website of Nuffic: www.nuffic.nl & www.duo.nl

Do you arrange accommodation?

We will arrange accommodation if you make a request to us.To do so you need to fill in the accommodation form. Please note that you have to accept the accommodation we offer you for the full period.Mind the strict deadlines for accommodation application which is 15 June for all students (EU or non-EU).

Will I have to share an appartment if you arrange accommodation for me?

Yes. In all our accommodations you will need to share an appartment. However, sharing an appartment means that you will have your own bedroom, a shared kitchen and a shared bathroom.

Will I have internet access at my accommodation?

Yes, all our accommodations have internet access.

What is the rent for accommodation?

the maximum rent is (inclusive of energy, water and internet) is according to the local market value with a maximum of 2550 euro per semester (thus maximum 425 euro per month). Rent is paid per month.

Do I need to pay a rent deposit?

Yes, the amount will be 750 euro. This amount will be refunded to you at the end of the rental period.

What is the cost of living per month?

This of course depends on your own spending. However, usually this ranges between 600 and 800 euro per month (including accommodation). These living expenses cover rent, food, public transportation, study materials and other general costs.