MAR702V Maritime Finance and Business Modelling
This module considers the role of business finance in maritime industries including interpretation of traditional accounts and analysis of corporate performance and approaches to investment appraisal. It develops hands-on skills for decision making based on an integrated approach to quantitative decision methods using spread sheets. Also, modern statistical tools are used to analyse problems in maritime business environments. Descriptive statistics and graphical displays, optimization and risk analysis will be covered.
To identify the role of business finance in maritime industries, providing students with modern statistical tools to analyse problems in maritime business environments. Descriptive statistics and graphical displays, optimisation and risk analysis will be covered.
At the end of a module the student will be expected to be able to:
- critically discuss the basic sources of corporate finance for maritime industry
- apply ratio analysis to the accounts of shipping and logistics companies
- assess the impact of risk management on investment appraisal
- summarise and display graphically data from shipping business, logistics or port areas using a spread sheet
- solve optimization problems using a spread sheet
- perform simulation-based risk analysis using a spread sheet