About the program
About Master Architecture
Learn how to effectively combine design intelligence with a reflective attitude and practical skills. The competence-based curriculum is geared towards mastering seven crucial competences: design, research, collaboration, communication, entrepreneurial skills, organisation, and professional practice. You’ll gain experience and education beyond the school curriculum by combining your study with employment in a professional environment. Additionally, the Academy itself is a laboratory for spatial assignments from real stakeholders, and the studio is the perfect place to apply new skills and methods to create design proposals for complex spatial problems.
Why this study in the Netherlands?
- You’ll be part of Fontys School of Performance and Fine Arts, a creative learning community
- Our tutors are professionals from a variety of disciplines with a strong relation to practice
- You’ll engage in an intensive programme in a small community together with fellow Architecture and Urbanism students
- The programme has a vertical structure that synergises working and studying at the same time, encouraging you to become an independent and critical thinker in approaching real-world and future challenges
- Our international environment gives you a broad view of real-world problems and hands-on solutions to tackle these challenges
- After graduation, you’ll be eligible to register immediately in the Dutch Architecture Register and start working as an (independent) architect
What will you be learning?
Project-based learning lies at the core of the study programme. Your assignments will tackle a particular challenge or issue that you’ll work on individually or in teams. The studio work will be combined with various theoretical courses to provide a strong foundation.
The philosophy of the Academy is based on study combined with working in an architect’s firm. This concurrent, practical structure offers you experience and education beyond the school curriculum, which is essential to your growth as a professional architect. In addition, it allows you to unleash the pioneer within by learning about the importance of design for current and upcoming issues.
Take a look at our graduates projects (download)
What does your week look like?
The course is carried out in a 40-week intensive program. You’ll work in the Design studio at Fontys in Tilburg one day per week. Alongside this, self-study comprises 10 hours and practical work 20 hours per week. You’ll follow theory classes once a week.