About the Academy of Music and Performing Arts
The Academy of Music and Performing Arts (AMPA) offers an ambitious, innovative study programme. Our vision is based on the idea that your individual musical development into a top musician can only flourish through practice. We encourage you, together with our teachers, your fellow students and the professional field, to develop new visions of musical artistry. This artistry is underpinned by six key skills: instrument & ensemble playing, self-management, interdisciplinarity, practice-oriented research, collective entrepreneurship and international connectedness. Our top teachers are right in the middle of the field and will coach you to further develop your talent.
What do we offer
- You will be intensively coached by your main subject, theory, research and ensemble teachers and taught by experts in the field of creative skills, personal development and entrepreneurship.
- A programme full of master classes and projects, collaborating with other art disciplines at Fontys School of Fine & Performing Arts.
- You will work with various artists, venues and disciplines, and have access to state of the art developments.
- An enthusiastic team of teachers who have earned their spurs in the field and know exactly what you need.
- A creative learning environment that offers plenty of room for your own initiative.
What are you going to learn?
We have built AMPA on six key skills helping you to become a pioneer: instrument & ensemble playing, self-management, interdisciplinarity, practice-oriented research, collective entrepreneurship and international connectedness.
You will follow at least 3 hours of instrument classes a week, consisting of individual lessons, group lessons, technique, and ensemble. This means that you have almost twice as much contact with your instrument and ensemble teachers than in other conservatories.
At the same time, you will learn how to reflect on your own development and that of others.
In the ensemble and chamber music trajectories team teaching is at the heart of the programme. You will become inspired by various teachers in a dynamic and collaborative context. Alongside this, you will participate in projects and masterclasses, work together with ensembles in residence and partners in the region, and you will audition for our concert series.
Your curriculum will be supported by knowledge on music theory, music history, cultural theory, research, entrepreneurship, interdisciplinary courses and other electives (such as conducting, philosophy, and teaching skills).
- The Academy brings students to a high level of excellence, while connecting music with other art forms such as dance, theater and fine arts
- You’ll become a leader in your field and play important roles in the development of new visions on the music profession
- You evolve at a faster pace because you’ll get individual lessons, group lessons, technique and ensembles
- You’ll learn how to reflect on your own development and that of others