Travel advice

I am a student and I am making preparations for a trip abroad in spring 2021. Can I go? (09-03-21)
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has extended negative travel advice until April 15, 2021. According to the Fontys’ policy for international mobility, Fontys issues a 'no-go' for foreign trips to countries with an orange or red travel advice and translates this into a very urgent advice not to travel. You need to check the travel advice up until the day of your departure; the travel advice which showed green or yellow when your registered for going abroad might have changed just before you’re about to leave.

Can I still travel to the Netherlands from outside of the EU for my studies at Fontys? (09-03-21)
Yes, you can still enter the Netherlands if you have a valid MVV or study visa (verblijfsvergunning). Please be aware that a negative corona test result is required for entering the Netherlands. Make sure to check the current rules for entering the Netherlands.  

I cannot travel to the Netherlands because of the current travel/flight ban. What should I do? (22-01-21)
Please contact your study councillor, mentor or coordinator Internationalisation to discuss the situation.

Do I need to take a corona test when I travel to the Netherlands? (22-01-21)
Yes, if you enter the Netherlands from abroad a negative corona test result is required. Depending on which country you are travelling from you may also need a rapid corona test result. Make sure to check the current requirements for testing.

I am unable to find a traineeship in the Netherlands. Can I do an internship in Germany or Belgium? (03-12-20)
We are following the travel advice of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which is now code orange. This means that Fontys does not allow mobility to these countries and strongly discourages students from travelling to these countries for studies or work placements. Discuss your options with your programme/SLB’er.

Can I travel to Fontys with public transport for physical education? (21-10-20)
Physical education, internships and location-based research are seen as necessary activities for which you may continue to travel with public transport.

Am I allowed to travel within the Netherlands to provide or follow education or research activities? (01-10-20)
Only essential travel is allowed and working/studying from home is the norm. Depending on the activity you might be allowed to visit school or work/research places.
Check before you travel.

I live in Germany/Belgium but study/work at Fontys in the Netherlands, can I cross the border? Can I come to Fontys as a border employee/student?
Please consider that every travel increases the risk of spreading the virus. Border workers/employees and border students are exempt from the home quarantine of 10 days  and showing a negative PCR test when arriving in the Netherlands. However this exemptions is only made when you stay less than 48 hours in the Netherlands and if you follow the following rules:
- Social contacts are avoided.
- There is no travel by public transport.
- The length of stay is as short as possible.
- The quarantine rules will be respected outside the stay at Fontys.
- There is a good distance between them.
- Good hygiene measures are taken.
Please  inform yourself about restrictions that apply in your own country for returning from the Netherlands.

When am I a border worker/employee or border student?
If you work or are enrolled at Fontys and your permanent place of residence is Germany or Belgium.

I come back from a trip from an area where code 'orange' or code 'red' applies. What should I do?
Rules for entering the Netherlands by any means of transportation change on a regular basis. Filling out forms, quarantaine rules and showing negative tests are measures that might likely apply. Before you start planning your travels you need to check the current rules and measures. You can check here:

Can (group) study trips or internships abroad be planned again?
For outbound mobility we follow the decision tree international mobility which is closely related to the travel advice of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


For (group) study trips, the travel advice, the current rules for our society and those of the country of destination must of course be followed. We emphasize that the financial risks (e.g. repatriation, housing, etc.) lie with the student in question. Therefore, always consult your internationalization coordinator first, who will also inform you about other practical matters.

What should I do when I am abroad and the situation changes there?
During your stay abroad, you must always follow the local guidelines, those of the RIVM, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the local authorities. You also need to keep your contact details up to date in Mobility Online and maintain (close) contact about your status with your coordinator Internationalization. Please note that the travel advice of your destination -  upon departure - might affect your situation.

What happens to my Erasmus+ scholarship if the travel advice changes and I can no longer stay abroad?
If the travel advice changes (from green/yello into orange/red), the Force Majeure rule applies. This is a case of force majeure and in that case the same rules apply as during Spring 2020. If you return unexpectedly, you will still receive the full scholarship. If, due to the changed status, you are no longer able to leave and have incurred travel and accommodation expenses, you can be reimbursed up to a maximum of the grant amount allocated to you. Check updates for Erasmus+ Scholarship here

I come back from a trip from an area where code 'orange' or code 'red' applies. What should I do?
The current risk status of countries and regions can be found at you will find an update which rules apply when you want to enter into or return to the Netherlands on the website